Can you believe April is the hottest month in Bangkok? See that peak? That's April, when the temperature can go up to 105 F.
The Disease Control Department has warned citizens to refrain from petting your pet during this hot season. Plus, there are 11 million stray dogs and cats, and from January into March 80,000 suffered dog bites. Compounded by the potential for getting shot by water rifles, seemed like a good day to stay in my room.
Oh, also, watch out for pork. Not trichinelossis (once better known as trichinosis), but something terrible called Streptococcus suis (Ss) infection, which can lead to deafness and death.
While trichinosis is still around in the USA, here in Thailand, in the first three months of this year, 50 people were afflicted with Ss, resulting in ten deaths. Twenty nine died last year. This emerging bacteria is, actually, more deadly in China and Vietnam:
The problem? Improperly cooked pork. Symptoms start in 3-5 days with high fever, severe headache, nausea and dizziness. Just another reason to stay home.
On the okay-to-eat front, the latest Michelin GuideThailand lists 27 restaurants receiving Michelin stars, with no 3-stars and the following with 2: Gaggan, Suhring, Le Normandie and Mezzaluna. My hotel tried to get a reservation for lunch at Suhring, but the Songkran holiday competition was a problem.
While Bangkok "only" has an Air Pollution Index today of around 100, the whole region around Chiang Mai shows HAZARDOUS conditions in excess of 500. There is one spot in China at 800+, and Delhi is at 500, but much of northern Thailand, Laos and Cambodia is being overwhelmed by brush fire smoke like the one I went through when I first arrived in Bangkok. Chiang Mai has built a giant air purifier, called the Green Giant.
Does it work? Well, they're trying.
I gave a fleeting thought to the Siam Songkran Music Festival. For $53 I could stay all day at the DC Oasis Outdoor Arena for electronic dance music, which, surprise, surprise, I love. Fatboy Slim, Tiesto, Steve Aoki and a cast of dozens. My posting on The Chainsmokers went through the roof, where I reported on Aoki, son of Benihana Rocky.
Of course, the Water Festival. Just walk around in a floral shirt and be doused. There is a common rule not to drench monks, elderly people and babies. People are nevertheless advised to wear goggles if you dare walk in certain portions of the city, keep personal items in waterproof bags.
You can be blessed by Buddhist monks, for, after all, Songkran Day is a Buddhist festival. You are supposed to bring sand into temple grounds. Sand? Supposedly, every time you walk into a temple you leave with a few sand pebbles in your shoes. The sand is returned and used for future construction. So, Sawasdee Pi Mai...Happy New Year.
After all that focus on safety and comfort, I took a chance and thought I'd explore Queen's Garden, led by my Blue-bar. However, we only saw statues, monuments, families on picnics and a very few young children with tiny water rifles:
On the way back to the Marriott Marquis, I stopped by the Emporium Gourmet Market and brought back to my room:
An international meal: Japanese sashimi, American salad, Thai red curry with duck, Italian minestrone soup, cold Thai Chang Beer and hot Japanese sake.
Then for a late dinner, I went Italian in the M Club, plus corn soup, beer and a glass of Cab:
The rest of the day I mostly watched TV, major league baseball and Tiger making a move in the Masters. A relaxing and satisfying day, something that almost never happens on the road.
-

















ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:
แสดงความคิดเห็น