I've been coming to Bangkok now for three decades. Honestly, has nothing to do with sex. Plus, it's always too hot, the sidewalks are dangerous (not from muggers or pickpockets but just plain terrible maintenance) and I hate Thai food because they add a sauce made of fermented fish intestines, pervading the dining environment with that horrible smell. So why?
-
- In the 1990's it was part of my job to work out international research alliances. I gave lectures at most of the top universities and participated in several conferences.
- We had exchange students from Thailand.
- The U.S. Embassy at one point asked me to serve as an unofficial courier during a couple of periods when the country was in protest and disarray. Official communications channels were not available.
- Bangkok is a convenient stopping-off point for trips further west around the world.
- If I'm in Singapore or Jakarta, might as well also go to Bangkok.
- I began having shirts (has now evolved into vests) made here, and it has become a kind of passion. My latest version will be generation 10. I improve it every time. People can't appreciate that I now come to Bangkok primarily for this reason.
- Since the Year 2000 I got into fine cuisine, and Bangkok had many of the best restaurants in Asia.
- Then, I began staying in hotels where the room came with a gigantic breakfast buffet, and my executive level status provided free food and drinks at night. Why go out when it's cheaper and safer in my hotel?
- And things are, indeed, cheap here. From designer watches to tailored suits to certain gems, this is a shopper's paradise with mega shopping complexes.
But aren't the protests unsafe? If they don't close off the airport, tourist life is not affected much. They just had an election on March 24, and the official results have not yet been announced. That is because, almost surely, no coalition has a majority. They are trying to figure out how to minimize damage because this condition will only cause another major protest. They will make some kind of declaration this coming Tuesday. I'm leaving for Seoul on Monday.




ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:
แสดงความคิดเห็น