จำนวนการดูหน้าเว็บรวม

วันจันทร์ที่ 11 มีนาคม พ.ศ. 2562

25th HONOLULU FESTIVAL

The mostly Japanese Honolulu Festival has blossomed into an international gathering in its 25th year    --Looking Back to Create the Future:  25 Years of Aloha.  The event extends over three days, ending yesterday with the now famed Nagaoka Fireworks Show.  

So off I went to stay at the Waikiki Sheraton, for all I had to do was pay for the room without the hassle and cost of travel.  I've been doing this now for five years and will probably return next year.

I got a beautiful view of Diamond Head.  In the past, the fireworks would have been right out there.  Unfortunately, they moved the barges a few hundred yards in the Honolulu direction.

The parade this year was grander with more watchers.  I have a favorite spot close by the Sheraton where I can lean over the newspaper stands and comfortably take photos.



The Royal Hawaiian Band, led by Clarke Bright, who a long time ago as a student at the University of Hawaii worked for me at the Hawaii Natural Energy Institute:


He saw me and came to shake my hand.  The usual parade attractions:


A lot of dragons:


Depending on tastes, this could well have been the showstopper, a samba troupe from Brazil:


This is a good way for me to end the parade:


But the fireworks were not until 8:30PM, so, next, the Leahi Club Lounge, where the food and drinks are free, with a spectacular view:


Fortified, back to my room for the fireworks.  Waikiki Beach at night with a crowd awaiting the show:



However, my room was just being blocked by the next, so I held the tripod to get a better shot, which was, of course, not as steady, creating interesting effects:


The show went on for half an hour.  I was so close that you could feel the pressure of the explosion and it was really noisy.

The next morning, a free breakfast in the Leahi Lounge:



-

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น: