Day 169 of the Lower Puna Eruption, and...
******
I was in Long's CVS earlier this week and noticed that a simple BACtrack breathalyzer could be bought for $60. Heck, I've had many lunches for more than this amount, so purchased it to continue my role as a medical white rat. You can go to Amazon and find similar devices between $22 and $130.
There is an alcohol concentration correlation between your breath and blood, with the content in 2100 milliliters (ml) of your breath being equal to that in 1 ml of your blood. Each breath is around 500 ml. Alcohol is a depressant, relaxing your muscles and fuzzying your eyesight. Brain activity, judgement, reflexes and coordination are slowed. There is reduced awareness of danger, making you overconfident, and perhaps reckless. So get high at home, but not while driving.
Of course, there are various factors like weight, gender, etc., that affect your Blood Alcohol Content (BAC) value:
Blood Alcohol Effects
Content
0.02 - 0.03% slight euphoria, loss of shyness
0.04 - 006% euphoria, slight impairment of reasoning and memory
0.07 - 0.09% driving skills are impaired
0.10 - 0.12% speech slurred and driving skills severely impaired
0.13 - 0.15% blurred vision, loss of balance, lack of physical control
0.16 - 0.20% dysphoria predominates, nauseousness
0.25% assistance in walking, mental confusion
0.30% loss of consciousness
So yesterday, I had a lunch of ikura (salmon eggs) and fried eggs over rice, tomato soup, tsukemono (pickled vegetables) and a 12 ounce bottle of Sapporo Light Beer at 3.2% alcohol on my lanai and made my first measurements:
1100 0.000% First sip
1105 5 min 0.045% Half bottle
1110 10 min 0.028% 3/4 bottle
1115 15 min 0.075% 7/8bottle
1120 20 min 0.228% whole bottle
1125 25 min 0.105%
1130 30 min 0.010%
1230 1h 30m 0.000%
Why 0.228% at 20 minute mark? This is almost three times the legal limit. Answer to come.
Then, the 15 Craigside Poker Group had a dinner on our Solarium that night. I drunk half a bottle of 2012 Foxglove Chardonnay at 13.6% ethanol.
1725 0.000% first sip
1750 25 min 0.190% 3 oz
1805 40 min 0.162% 6 oz
1825 60 min 0.127% half a bottle
1900 95 min 0.129% half a bottle +
1915 110 min cup of coffee
1925 2 hours 0.021%
1930 115 min 0.017%
2125 3 hours 0.020%
This made no sense to me, for I was entirely coherent through the whole meal. Coffee lowering the BAC value surprised me, for I thought this was not possible.
So I experimented again the next day, when the 15C 12th floor had a pizza outing in our Solarium. I drunk a bottle (12 oz) of Steel Reserve Beer at 8.1% alcohol:
1445 0.000% first sip
1450 10 min 0.250% 1/4 bottle
1505 20 min 0.077% 1 bottle
1510 25 min 0.139% no more
1600 75 min 0.011% no more
Again, it made no sense. Why so high? THEN I READ THE INSTRUCTIONS. It was clear: don't eat anything when taking these measurements.
So I then swallowed an ounce of White Label Scotch at 40% alcohol.
1602 0.005% 1 oz scotch
1605 3 min 0.085%
1612 10 min 0.015%
1630 30 min 0.013%
1655 50 min 0.010%
This ounce of scotch exceeded the 0.08% legal limit within 3 minutes, but, the BAC quickly dropped, possibly because I had so much pizza in my stomach.
So, at this initial stage of white rat experimentation, three points to remember. First, don't have remnants of any food in your mouth when you blow into the breathalyzer, for contained is residual alcohol that materially can increase the alcohol measurement. Of course, don't drive when drunk, but if you must and have the opportunity, wash out your mouth with a lot of water before taking the wheel. Second, and this is a supposition: the more food in your stomach, possibly the alcohol content might lower faster over time. Third, coffee might help. The combination of food and coffee affecting BAC is a debatable subject. Most studies seem to say that it depends on various circumstances, but generally, don't expect food and coffee to lower your BAC. This I will need to validate or not when I soon make another run at these BAC measurements.
Under any circumstances, don't drink and drive. Any BAC value above zero is detrimental to your driving performance.
-









1 comment:
Post a Comment