Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 19, 2019

PAT'S DAY OFF

One of my favorite films is Ferris Buehler's Day Off.  Go on, click on that...it will make your day.  That was a third of a century ago.    Rotten Tomatoes gave it ratings of 80/92.  How have Matthew Broderick, Alan Ruck and Mia Sara aged?

As I was continuing, suddenly came on Old Movie Stars Dance to Uptown Funk, which I've showed before.  Another clip worth your while.  Really!  Even that song is five years old.

While I've been retired now for 20 years, I remain dedicated to the Blue Revolution and continue to seek $150 billion for the first floating city.  As such, I still spend time in my Manoa Campus office and yesterday toiled there for a while, then returned home to enhance an Ox-Tail Soup provided by 15 Craigside:


I just about succeeded taking a photo of the GREEN FLASH:


Then I went up to play poker and won a dollar.

So, the next day I chose to take a day off and caught The Bus into Downtown Honolulu to get a haircut.  The bus stopped at the the Hawaii Institute of Hair Design, where you can get a haircut for $10.


Hard to imagine, but in the mid-1970's I paid $40 for a haircut.  That is the equivalent of $187 today.  Anyway, I now have a slightly higher standard than a school teaching haircutting, so I walked over to Rainbow Hairstyling, conveniently located between Little Village Noodle House, which for eleven years in a row has been selected by Hale Aina as the best Chinese restaurant in Hawaii, and Lucky Belly, which makes the best ramen.


A haircut for seniors costs $11.  Well shorn, I decided to have some Shanghai Soup Dumplings at the Chinese Cultural Plaza:


Note the Taiwanese flag to the right.  Shows how international politics reach out even to Honolulu, for that is a point of contention from China, and loyalties come into play on who eats here and who can open up a restaurant.

I first bought a can of beer, because the two Shanghai Soup Dumpling places allow this.  However, Fook Lam appeared to be crowded, so I went to Tai Pan Dim Sum:


My meal:


I brought a miniature bottle of Courvoisier Cognac, but note the beer:


8.1% alcohol, slow brewed for exceptional smoothness.  I skipped the dessert:


Large room fully crowded with a fascinating koi aquarium.


On the way home I noticed this pink fuzzy thing and wondered what it was:


But just went on and stopped at Royal Kitchen to get some manapua and pork hash for my Wednesday night table:


Then I noticed almost adjacent to Royal Kitchen a barber shop:


Hmmm...$8 for a haircut.  I wonder if seniors pay less.

Not quite the excitement of experienced by Ferris Buehler, but a reasonably adventurous day for me.  Incidentally, at dinnertime with those dim sums, the 15 Craigside dining table on which I sat descended into a discussion of testicles.  This will be my posting tomorrow.

The Dow Jones Industrials, and other two indexes, AGAIN hit all time highs, the Dow adding 138 point to 28,377.  How did the House impeachment verdict affect the stock market?  Investors are a lot more concerned about trade with China.  Everyone knows that sometime next year the Senate to make a joke of this House action.

-

No comments: