From Worldometer, COVID-19 new deaths:
DAY USA WORLD Brazil India South Africa
June 9 1093 4732 1185 246 82
July 5 251 3572 535 421 173
7 993 5504 1312 479 192
12 380 4118 659 500 108
15 1001 5760 1261 614 107
19 412 4606 715 675 85
22 1205 7128 1293 1120 572
26 450 4307 556 715 114
Aug 1 1462 6429 1191 765 193
3 467 4430 514 514 213
Aug 1 1462 6429 1191 765 193
3 467 4430 514 514 213
5 1362 6292 1394 849 345
10 534 4813 593 1013 198
12 1504 6556 1242 835 130
16 522 4525 582 961 162
18 1358 6312 1365 1089 280
12 1504 6556 1242 835 130
16 522 4525 582 961 162
18 1358 6312 1365 1089 280
24 510 4356 679 854 100
25 1290 5856 1215 1066 149
30 369 4182 398 960 47
Sept 3 1094 5886 830 1083 174
4 1033 5814 855 1066 115
Sept 3 1094 5886 830 1083 174
4 1033 5814 855 1066 115
I went through my wellness center exercises late in the afternoon. However, they now require us to wear a mask. Do you know how difficult this is?
Anyway, I had to reduce the usual strenuousness, but still found myself at the lowest weight all year. Plus, my birthday is this weekend, so I splurged on a Costco blue plate rib eye. American beef, so I went western, with mashed potatoes, corn and other veggies. Opened one of my more expensive Stanford wine, a Haywood Estate Cabernet Sauvignon. Wow, 15.4% ethanol.
Tried something different. I first fried some garlic with small pieces of steak fat, tossed in the contents from a small can of corn with some Carnation cream, and then the mashed potatoes. Absolutely gastronomical:
Tonight it was TCM. Started with Elvis, That's the Way It Is. Rotten Tomatoes gave it 91/92. He made this triumphant return to the concert stage in almost a decade. After a few minutes, it hit me. My wife and I were there. This was then the International Hotel in Las Vegas. I remember slipping a $20 bill on check-in and we were taken to one of those long tables right next to the stage in the middle. I recall that white suit, his kissing women, walking around the audience, Sammy Davis Jr. in the audience, backed up by the Imperials and Sweet Inspirations. This was August of 1970. Watch this documentary, you might see me.
There are various versions of this concert. This was the new version, released in 2001 and made a debut on Turner Classic Movies, now TCM.
That was incredible as it was, but I then watched The T.A.M.I. Show, a 1964 concert film where the audience of 3000 from high schools came in for free. You too can see it, just click that link for the whole 1 hour 52 minute movie. The T is for teenage, and the audience was 99% them, and 99% white.
Hosted by Jan and Dean before that accident, they were the ones who had the first surf song hit, in 1963, Surf City. Introduced Chuck Berry, who started with Good Golly Miss Molly. Whoa... This is the song which came blasting on at the beginning of THREADS: The Most Frightening Film I Have Ever Seen, my posting of September 1. All these coincidencies last night.
Then, I thought back to my life. This is the show that gave me the idea in 1967 to put on in Naalehu the first outdoor rock concert, featuring bands from around the Big Island. Click on that, for the poster to the right announced this fair. Woodstock came two years after us.
But back to TAMI, the whole effort was amazing and well orchestrated. Each performer sang four or five songs, shortened. No lip-syncing. They needed a critical mass of hits to get invited. A whole bunch of bands came from the UK, melding with those surfer groups in California, like the Beach Boys, and the roots of R&R with Chuck and James Brown. The go-go dancers were enticing and I wondered why the censors did not cut those out.
It was like PBS in 1964, for they all came on at the end to surround the Rolling Stones, before Satisfaction, which was released in 1965. Interesting that the Body Mass Indices of those performers were really low. This was the Miracles before Smoky Robinson became famous, and the Supremes before Diana Ross pulled out.
I can't believe I'm saying this, but my favorite is a poet, Brandon Leake. I've avoided poetry all my life, although, I actually had a poem accepted into a national high school anthology when I was a senior in high school. Simon Cowell was like me...he said he doesn't understand poetry. Oh, he fell at home and broke his back. I also like Archie Williams, who got exonerated after spending 37 years in prison, and 9-year old Roberta Battaglia.
Winner last year was Kodie Lee:
As this has been partly a steak posting, let me end with Japanese wagyu beef:
Haishen is now a super typhoon at 155 MPH, with gusts of 190 MPH. Southern Japan will be sideswiped today, and Amami Island, with a population of 73,000, especially in danger, then on to South Korea tomorrow, their third typhoon in a couple of weeks.
-















ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:
แสดงความคิดเห็น