จำนวนการดูหน้าเว็บรวม

วันจันทร์ที่ 9 กันยายน พ.ศ. 2562

IS THERE NOW A CURE FOR TINNITUS?

I was in bed last night and thought I heard running water, like from a small waterfall, or two.  Then, it occurred to me that my tinnitus had disappeared.  So I traced the sounds to my aquaria.

In many ways, these sounds were like sleep aids, for I had no problem going to sleep.  But why does this ear ailment come and go?  This must be a clue to a future solution.

Then, this morning, of all the coincidencies, I noticed that a posting I had seven years ago made the top five of what was read yesterday:


To summarize:
  • 150 million Americans have at least a mild form of this problem.
  • 40% of soldiers returning from Middle East wars suffer from this ailment.
  • a low-salt diet seems to help me
  • one site SOLD pills:  natural herbal and vitamin supplements
  • the Mediterranean Diet was recommended
When I moved into 15 Craigside (that tower behind my current building was where I lived for 32 years) a few years ago, one of my dinner table friends indicated that his cousin was world-famous for curing tinnitus.  So I contacted him, and he referred me to a clinic in Los Angeles.  I couldn't get any clarification of cost.  Plus this matter was merely a tad annoying and not worth any kind of major effort.  Further, I took a hearing test in our clinic, and my hearing was almost normal.

There seemed to be some optimism seven years ago that a variety of solutions existed to solve this problem.  So where are we today?  From Harvard:
  • 50 million Americans struggle with tinnitus (that 150 million figure above must include at least a 100 million who must have a semblance of this hearing complication, but not suffer much)
  • doctors cannot actually measure tinnitus--you need to report this condition
  • the consensus of what one hears with this ailment is a whooshing, scraping or crickets
  • the older you are, the more prevalent this predicament
  • what it is is a fraying of the auditory nerve connecting the ear to the brain, which compensates by turning up the internal volume
  • only rarely is this noise caused by a tumor, cyst or buildup of earwax
  • tinnitus can come and go
  • one experimental therapy is the passage of electromagnetic pulses through the scalp, medically known as repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation and transcranial direct current stimulation
  • however, there is no medical evidence this works, and could even make tinnitus worse
  • what has sometimes worked, making this problem less annoying, is cognitive behavioral therapy and hypnosis
  • another solution is sound therapy, using an external device to distract overactive brain cells
  • but they all don't work for many, and merely control, not cure
  • THE BEST SOLUTIONS CURRENT MEDICAL SCIENCE HAS ARE TO REMOVE EARWAX AND CURE YOUR CYST
In short, Harvard has reported that nothing much works.

But, ah, from Louis Hart, a senior audiologist on hearing loss:


I must have missed the portion which identifies this drug to help me next year.  While back to optimism, there is a disclaimer at the end:

This article has not been subjected to peer review and is presented as the personal views of a qualified expert in the subject in accordance with the general terms and condition of use of the News-Medical.Net website.

So where, then, are we today....really?  I suspect Harvard's summary represents the current state of cure for tinnitus.  So to the title of this posting, the answer is NO.

-  
According to the Singapore Strait Times:

TOKYO - The Greater Tokyo area encountered its most violent storm in history overnight as Typhoon Faxai lashed the region, killing at least three people and leaving behind in its wake early morning transport snarls and stifling heat on Monday (Sept 9).
Unseasonable temperatures rose as high as 37 deg C in Tokyo’s Nerima ward, mere hours after Faxai – the 15th typhoon of the season – swept through the world’s largest metropolitan area, felling trees and power lines, toppling walls and scaffolding, and blowing away roofs.
This marked the first time in 19 years the mercury has risen above 36 deg C in Tokyo in September, the Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA) said, as it issued heatstroke warnings. The unseasonal heat is expected to continue on Tuesday.
Typhoon Faxai made landfall at 130 MPH.  I've never heard of a situation where a cyclonic storm causes heatstroke!  Let's see if Tokyo reaches 100 F today.

In the Atlantic and Gulf, AccuWeather predicts a possible problem:


-

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น: