A bad day in Purgatory, involving my blood, can still end up being a good day. Driving down Kapiolani Avenue I saw too late a gigantic pothole. With a car in the next lane I was forced to drive over that rut, the car violently shook, but I continued on without apparent incident.
About half a mile from home there seemed to be a dragging feeling. When I returned back to 15 Craigside, I saw that my right front tire was flat. It could have been worse, for I made it back.
I mentioned this calamity to the security guard, and Gary says, not to worry, he'll fix the problem. I passed on to him my remote control and delivered some perishables to my refrigerator. When I returned, Gary was trying to re-inflate the tire with an air pressure device. It did not work, meaning that the damage to the tire must have been catastrophic.
We took out everything in my car--golf bag, cart, and other stuff. This is the first time since I bought the car that I saw the inside clear of junk. The reason is that the spare tire and tools are in a location so that you need to do this. I don't remember ever fixing a flat.
Well-supervised by Ted and Chris, Gary replaced the tire with the small spare. I left all my stuff next to the guard shack and drove to Pacific Honda. I remember seeing, many times, a commercial where a client asks, is it true that you can bring your car in to be serviced without an appointment. The clerk says absolutely. So I drive in and told one of the staff that I got a flat tire, can you fix it? Sure, with a smile. The Pacific Honda ad is true.
As it was time for an oil change, and this type of incident means wheel alignment, etc., I went for them all. Alas, they didn't have my exact same tire type so I needed to change both front tires. Cost now up to $440. Terrible, but that is only one night at the Tokyo Westin Hotel when they're busy. I just made a reservation for this coming Sakura Season.
While I'm waiting, I saw an e-mail from R. Fields that my Stanford Wine order had arrived and I could pick it up the next day. Realizing that my car was empty and that the five cases might fit in this unusual condition, I call them up and asked if I could get my wines later in the afternoon. They, too, said yes, and that they'll have them ready for pick-up at the Beretania Street Foodland.
About an hour into my wait my car is ready to go, so I paid the bill and drove off to Foodland. Someone from the company wheeled those carts to my car and, being too heavy for me, placed them inside my Honda Fit. The wines barely fit into my car.
I returned to 15 Craigside, where Scott and Steve help me with those wine cases to my room, and returned all the items into my car. The staff here is not only helpful, but cheerful and wonderful.
Oh, yes, the blood part. I scratched my wrist while helping to unload those wine boxes, and the abrasion began to bleed, a lot. So, with nothing to cover the wound, and deciding that I didn't want to contaminate the ground, I licked the blood. I actually drank my blood. I don't think I've ever done that before.
In my apartment I treated my wound, but only placed on the cut some triple antiobiotic ointment. I couldn't use a band aid, for the skin around that area is too thin. During poker that night it bled a couple of times, but the players would have been mortified if they saw me licking at it, so I just dabbed it with some antiseptic pad. I ended up not losing any money, which is a plus because the house always wins between $15 and $20, which is used for dinners, as, for example, this coming New Year's Eve, when we will play through midnight.
I couldn't figure out how to sleep without staining my bed, but someone made it through the night and still got eight hours of sleep. The euphoria that began on October 6 continued through this ordeal, complemented by successes. Yes, there might be blood in Purgatory, and there are regular tribulations, but all is well, and, even continues to be euphoric.
Better yet, a double water lily welcome this morning:
Better yet, a double water lily welcome this morning:
-






ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:
แสดงความคิดเห็น