I fervently wish that your total carbon dioxide to methanol to carbon dioxide...can prevail. Do everything you can, with
George Olah, to attain this ideal system. There is the matter of funding, but I later have a solution for that.
For the sake of reality, though, let me point out one possible fatal flaw: it will cost too much to take carbon dioxide from the atmosphere to make methanol. Someday, perhaps, but for the next several decades, I would offer that methanol from the gasification and catalysis of biomass provides the sensible pathway.
Then there is that second requirement: a direct methanol fuel cell (DMFC) for vehicles. Yes, Toshiba should by next year market a DMFC for portable electronics. However, nothing much has been done about larger applications. This will take about a decade, IF MAJOR FUNDS ARE ALLOWED FOR R&D...and at this point, the Department of Energy is still ambivalent, if not actually still antagonistic, regarding methanol. There is that lingering fear from the Farm Lobby that remains.
All this is both silly and tragic, for what better than the heartland of America (our farmers) joining forces with motor city Detroit, to gain the patents for the DMFC and produce the fuel (methanol) to power our transport sector?
My HuffPo written in March underscores this opportunity. In the meantime, though, I haven't seen any particular movement to build this bridge to our future.
Thus, I would like to propose the Bockris-Takahashi Plan to combat both Global Warming and Peak Oil, while rescuing our economy: a billion dollar/year R&D program to develop the technology and systems to take carbon dioxide from the atmosphere to produce methanol, linked to a billion dollar/year farm-GM-Ford partnership to produce biomethanol and take control of the direct methanol fuel cell. If we can spend more than one thousand billion dollars (a trillion) to save our financial sector, surely, this relatively picayune amount to solidify the foundation for long-term economic success, plus saving Planet Earth and Humanity, can be well justified.
Aloha.
Pat
***************
Okay, we have a plan. Now what?
Anyone out there interested in this effort, please let us know who you are and join our partnership! Consider this as Day One to develop the Simple Solutions for Planet Earth and Humanity.
-
In the North Atlantic, Hurricane Bill will soon diminish because of the cold waters, and appears to be avoiding making landfall, only causing major swells. In the Pacific, Tropical Storm Hilda, now at 40 MPH, will strengthen over the next four or five days, but remain well south of Hawaii.
-
2 ความคิดเห็น:
Hi Pat and John
I love the idea. Great bridge to building the renewable aviation fuels. Rather than extracting CO2 from the atmosphere, John will find more CO2 in the ocean. How to extract it, I'm not sure but I'm sure someone knows. As for hydrogen, we'll make that with the stranded and curtailed geothermal and wind on the Big Island. I'm not a big fan of biomass as a feed stock because we cannot control the supply. Better to focus on technology where we pay a bigger upfront amount but do not have to worry about the feedstock in the future. That is why extracting the CO2 from the ocean is a better alternative I think. But of course, I'm not an expert and often wrong. BUT, you can count me in on the bandwagon.
Guy
Dear Guy:
I got a response from a colleague, who indicated that the thermodynamics of extracting carbon dioxide from the atmosphere made commercialization essentially impossible. Inform Lockheed Martin about another possible co-product from their OTEC effort. I'm sure they have not considered carbon dioxide. I still think that methanol from biomass has to be that bridge, with the direct methanol fuel cell.
แสดงความคิดเห็น