
I received the following e-mail today from Pearl's cousin Nancy Kelly, who lives in Hilo. They worked for U.S. Senator Spark Matsunaga,
***************************************
Hi Pat:
Funny that you mentioned the flower blooming. I had planted some "sunflower" seeds a month or so ago with Kacelyn and at that time I thought of Pearl because I recalled her telling me she liked yellow sunflowers. A few very skinny scrawny plants had emerged and on Friday morning I happened to look out in the backyard and was surprised to see a bright yellow blossom. It was nearly perfect and was so bright facing the morning sun. Yes, I do believe she's up there somewhere.
With aloha,
Nancy
***************************
This reminds me of my only experience growing sunflowers. I was a trainee at the Kilauea Sugar Company (on the island of Kauai: the introduction of SIMPLE SOLUTIONS for Planet Earth describes my life there) in the early '60's. I challenged the plantation agriculturist as to who could grow the largest sunflower. I haven't the faintest idea what I did right, for we used the same seeds, and I had never before grown any flowering plants, but my crop grew at least 12 feet high and produced incredibly large sunflowers. I had to use bamboo poles to hold them up. The circumference of the sunflower seed portion (yes, real sunflower seeds that you could eat) was up to 53 inches around, or a diameter of nearly 17 inches. Most sunflowers, including the petals, are smaller than half that size. I still have a photo of that monster in case there is any dubiosity. Of course, I would need to find it and I'm not sure exactly where it is.
-
ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:
แสดงความคิดเห็น