Total Pageviews

Monday, June 10, 2019

WAIKIKI: PAN -PACIFIC FESTIVAL

The Pan-Pacific Festival was a good excuse for a Waikiki staycation, but was not much of an event.  Yesterday morning I made my usual walk down Waikiki Beach:


Almost to the end of the sand.  A few photos:


I then saw a #22 bus coming, so boarded it, and it took me to  Sea Life Park.  I took a photo behind the mottled window of the bus of Rabbit Island, and to my later astonishment, the quality was excellent:


This was just one of several beautiful scenes.  The surprising thing about #22 back to Waikiki is that there was one stop at the base of Diamond Head, then the bus moves on for several miles, down the Ala Wai Canal, to the block by Hilton Hawaiian Village Hotel, and, finally, to Kalakaua Avenue.  

The second stop was across the street to the Princess Kaiulani Hotel, next to the Moana hotel, which apparently, was the showcase site where the announcing occurred and groups stopped to perform their favorite act, right above my room.  I did not know that any bus went down Kalakaua.  However, I then wandered around searching for the ideal combination of cuisine for watching the Pan-Pacific Festival parade from my lanai.  What I initially purchased was a Subway and some chips, later augmented by some Korean food:


I had a comfortable chair, ate a leisurely dinner, watched and listened to the best the parade had to offer, feeling sorry of those below me.  There were several celebratory performances just for us at this spot, with the Star Spangled Banner, Hawaii Ponoi and Taiko drums.  The sounds carried up to the 25th floor and the drums deafening.  The Royal Hawaiian Band was the first to cross this location:


There were a dozen dragons and more, and participants from all over the Pacific, the local Hawaii United Okinawa Association, South Korea and....the final group I could not identify.


Maybe because I viewed from too high a loft, perhaps because there was also a parade yesterday, but I though the parade was too short and lacking in pizzaz.  The Royal Hawaii Band was the only one to participate in both.

Next morning, back to the Pikake Terrace for breakfast:



There were two problems here.  Pigeons all over the place.  Unsanitary but okay for me.  But those flies were abundant and obstreperous.  See that black dot to the right of my miso soup?  That is a fly.  I had to get another bowl, which was a waste of time, for I'm sure the flies landed on just about everything you see.  The Orkin Man comes three times/week to spray.  The flies are coming from some place else.

But the final view of Waikiki neutralized those flies, with a second photo in the Mauka direction, showing the Ala Wai Golf Course, where I might just be tomorrow:


-

No comments: