Total Pageviews

Saturday, October 3, 2009

FROM TOKYO TO NIIGATA ON THE SHINKANSEN



I'm on my way to Niigata to continue The Search for Kenjiro's Grandmothers. Last night I had dinner at Victor's with Hiromi and Kenji Hotta, for she accompanied Pearl and me to northern Japan earlier this year, and we discussed the latest developments.

I mentioned that one of my favorite restaurants is Victor's at the St. Francis Hotel in San Francisco. Turns out that Victor, himself, was a chef at that SFO restaurant a century ago. Thus the name of the establishment.


This morning before leaving the Tokyo Westin, I had a traditional $40 Japanese brunch. Some of you might remember my $60 Japanese breakfast at the Four Seasons Hualalai.

-
Typhoon Parma ferociously struck northern Luzon, but, from early reports, while there is much physical devastation, the death rate is quite low, considering that nearly 300 perished during the relatively weak Tropical Storm Ketsana, said to the the worst flood in 40 years. 400,000 remain homeless in the Manila region. Parma will remain a typhoon for a while and loiter between the Philippines and Taiwan, before turning east, most hope.


Typhoon Melor, at 145 MPH, skimmed through the American territories and is now headed for Japan. My Shinkansen return to Tokyo from Sapporo on Thursday will occur just when Melor either skirts the island, or meets me head on. That could well be an exciting day. Stay tuned.
-



No comments: