I asked one of my floor neighbors, who is Chinese, what do you eat on New Year's Day. She said jai, known also as Buddha's delight, a vegetarian dish, that in some societies add seafood or eggs. Like the Japanese ozoni, the details depend on from where came the recipe. What else?
Notice that enhancement of luck is a primary goal:
- fish: to increase prosperity
- dumplings, spring rolls and good fortune (round and gold color) fruit: wealth
- glutinous rice cake: higher income or position
- sweet rice balls: family togetherness
- longevity noodles: happiness and longevity
Not on that list, but driving back for the Ala Wai Golf Course, I stopped by On On to get some Peking Duck:
Half a duck is too much for me, so I selected the best pieces and fried some in butter and the others in Japanese wagyu fat:
That's a piece of wagyu on top of the duck. This was my meal for the 1974 film version of Murder on the Orient Express, one of my binge-watching expeditions.
Two days ago I talked about the two carpenter bee stings I got at the Ala Wai Golf Course. I then noticed what I think were ant bites, one which swelled my ankle with a square-shaped rash, no doubt while golfing.
On Saturday, off I went to celebrate Chinese New Year in Honolulu Chinatown. On the way there I stopped by the Cultural Plaza for lunch:
My blue-bar pigeon led the way, first to Fook Lam, which had a long line, then to Tai Pan which had none:
I ordered Shanghai Soup Dumplings (remember, this is on the lucky list for the day):
The above was my final dumpling, and note that the cognac bottle is empty, and so was the 25 ounce can of Rolling Rock, which cost all of $2 at the nearby liquor store. I started by trying to pour the cognac on to the dumpling, but the spoon was too small. So I settled with the tea cup, something I will continue to do in the future.
Somewhat concerned about my ability to safely walk, I then headed for Chinatown and was met by some Chinese beauty queens:
I wouldn't have shown these chicken feet, except that a few feet over were...guess what?
Figured out what they are? Lemons.
Nian gao (is gau the local spelling?) and...guess what?
Pig skin. Then I thought about the duck soup I had made with the remainder of the Peking Duck, so picked up some Chinese peas, Chinese cabbage (won bok) and a small abalone:
The sign says $400/pound.
To complement the soup I got three kinds of dim sum:
For dinner, duck soup plus those veggies with sliced dried abalone and those dim sums, fried in butter:
-

























ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:
แสดงความคิดเห็น