The other day I mentioned that I had watched two films, the 1935 Roberta, and 1952 make-over, Lovely To Look At. Over the next month or so, if I can find the time, I'll repeat this with films that closely relate to each:
- Casablanca (Rotten Tomatoes: 98/95) followed by Play It Again Sam (RT: 97/89)
- Ninotchka (RT: 97/89), then Silk Stockings (RT: 100/69)
- Pygmalion (RT: 94/86)and My Fair Lady (RT: 95/90)
- 1929 original (RT: no rating)
- 1935 with Irene Dunn, Allan Jones and Paul Robeson (RT: 100/74)
- 1951 with Kathryn Grayson, Howard Keel, Ava Gardner and Paul Warfield (RT: 89/71)
Maybe the Rogers and Hammerstein Broadway shows converted to the big screen: Oklahoma (RT: 88/76), Carousel (RT: 83/61), State Fair (RT: 83/78), South Pacific (RT: 89/69), King and I (RT: 96/83), Flower Drum Song (RT: ?/73) and Sound of Music (RT: 84/91).
I go to regular Sunday twin-bills, so watching them back-to-back at home should be especially enjoyable, for I can press pause and go to the loo or drink and eat whatever I want at any time. Of course, I can also spend the whole day and binge watch all the Frankensteins:
1931 Frankenstein
Boris Karloff (poster to right)
(Rotten Tomatoes: 100/87.
WOW!)
Boris Karloff, Elsa Lanchester
(RT: 100/87...Yes, just as
high!)
Frankenstein
with Bud & Lou
Bela Lugosi, Lon Chaney
(RT: 89/85...no kidding!)
1971 Lady Frankenstein (Italian)
(RT: so bad that only Audience 20%)
1973 Andy Warhol’s
Flesh forFrankensteinX rated & in 3D
(RT: 86/56)

1974 Young Frankenstein (Mel Brooks)
(RT: 94/92....not making
this up)
1985 The Bride
Sting, Jennifer Beals
(RT: 25/32...need to avoid this)
1990 Frankenstein Unbound
Roger Corman, John Hurt,
1990 Frankenhooker
bizarre comedy
(RT: 62/57)
Ken Branagh
2004 Van Helsing
2015 Victor Frankenstein
James McAvoy
Daniel Radcliffe
(RT: 26/35)
(RT: 26/35)
Well, Rotten Tomatoes made the choice easy. Only watch the first six and avoid all the new ones. Of course, I'll still need to find those classics.There some others worthy of consideration:
- There are nine Wizard of Ozs, starting with a silent in 1910. Here is all 13 minutes of it. The entire 1925 silent film, 85 minutes long. Oliver Hardy was the Tin Man and Rotten Tomatoes audiences gave it an 80% rating. The 1939 Judy Garland version was #5 in chronology (RT: 98/89).
- King Solomon's Mine is another well-saturated offering, with at least a dozen films. The most remembered is the 1950 Deborah Kerr and Steward Granger production. RT: 92/60.
The list of potential combinations is lengthy, and when I complete watching one, you'll hear about it.
By the way, 61% of you out there binge-watch. This is bad for your health and a sign that you are potentially addictive to certain facets of your life.
By the way, 61% of you out there binge-watch. This is bad for your health and a sign that you are potentially addictive to certain facets of your life.-






ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:
แสดงความคิดเห็น