Day 162 of the Lower Puna Eruption, and nothing new to report.
************
Finger and toe nails are evolutionary artifacts. Sure, you can better scratch an itch or maintain the nail of your small finger to pick your nose, but they are essentially unnecessary today, especially toenails. Many ultramarathon runners have them (to the left, with the story about the photo of my feet at the top to come) surgically removed, and they don't suffer any negative effects. Ten million years from now it might be possible that humans won't have toenails because they are liabilities. We haven't existed long enough to benefit from this form of evolution.
In the meantime, I'm stuck with having to cut my toenails. Fingernails, no problem, but when you get older, cutting toe nails becomes very difficult. This blog site has become a go-to location for this human maintenance requirement, for I've posted on this topic numerous times, including:
So you ask, how did cavemen cut their toenails? Scientists have no clue. About lions and apes and others in nature with no pedicurists around, regular wear and tear takes care of this problem. We are spoiled with our current lifestyle.
My attempts at toenail cutting have evolved over time. For 46 years my wife did them. When she passed away, I bought an assortment of tools, starting with a dremel.
This was overkill, for I feared causing major damage to adjacent toes. I thus went to the more dainty cosmetic versions. The Nail Care Plus ($31, Amazon) is functional, but takes forever, and you need to be careful about too much friction for the nails heat up. That flat-looking Roto Clipper ($5, Amazon) is useful for fingernails, but useless for big toenails. That nail cutter looking like a plier scares me.
I then thought, why not just pay for a manicure/pedicure, so went to Dashing Diva on Fort Street Mall, the #1 service of its kind in Hawaii. The whole process took an hour and twenty minutes, where a full massage of my arms to the elbow and feet to the knee was a most pleasant experience. However, with tip, $50.
At my 15 Craigside dinner tables the consensus was to go to a podiatrist, who will do it for free, as our medical plans cover this cost. Someone comes to our clinic to do this, but the feedback was to look somewhere else. My personal doctor and table mates all recommended Dr. Rickey Sukita. He is rated # in Yelp. I've long felt that visiting a medical doctor just to have him cut my toe nails was kind of demeaning. But I went today anyway, and he did the pedicure himself. I asked him why not use a nurse to do this, for those nail shop staffers don't have any kind of medical experience. However, he felt that this was an important responsibility of his. Those toe nails at the top photo are mine, after his treatment. Problem solved.
-
Hurricane Leslie has gained fame as a zombie storm, having formed in the middle of the Atlantic in September and meandering around, mostly moving east, not west. Looks like she will weaken into a tropical storm and first hit Madeira and the Canaries, then unto Portugal and Spain.
Hurricane Michael is now in the Atlantic Ocean, and at last count had killed 13 and left 1.5 million without electricity, half of them in North Carolina. Homes fronting Mexico Beach, Florida are mostly gone:
-






ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:
แสดงความคิดเห็น