จำนวนการดูหน้าเว็บรวม

วันพุธที่ 3 ตุลาคม พ.ศ. 2561

SIMPLE SURPRISES

Day 153 of the Lower Puna Eruption, and there is nothing much to say.

****************
In 1983 my wife Pearl was diagnosed with breast cancer:

While she was recuperating at Kuakini Hospital, I saw in a flower shop a red, spherical flower with no leaves.  I learned that this was an African Blood Lily (Scadoxus multifloras) and grew from a bulb.  I called it a sunburst to inspire her.  I told her that as long as she could re-grow this flower, she would live.  While chemotherapy lasted for a terrible few months, she mothered two more flowers the following year, and they almost kept doubling each year. 

She lived a quarter century following that first sunburst.  This photo was taken the year before she passed away.  When I moved to 15 Craigside in 2014 I brought along three pots of this African Blood Lily.  I gave one to a neighbor on my floor.  Surely enough, they bloomed each year, usually around July, her birthday month.

However, this year, the summer came and went and there were no sunbursts.  My first thought was that this plant was 35 years old, and the end had come.  But in mid-September, I decided to water the pots.  Amazingly enough, they both began to show life.  Here to the right on September 24.

Today, one in the elevator lobby of the 12th floor, and the other with four potential blooms on my lanai:


SIMPLE SOLUTION ESSAYS, a compilation of some of my Huffington Post articles, was published to pass out at her second celebration of life.  The back cover is my tribute to her.


A second simple surprise was provided by my Honda Fit.  I've now had it for more than a year, and yesterday wondered what all those icons were on the display screen.  So I tapped the iPod symbol, and a few seconds later, music began to play.  But where was the signal coming from?  I had no iPod.

Image result for bluetooth symbolTurns out that my iPhone is linked by Bluetooth (how many of you knew of that symbol to the right) to the car's system, and, somehow, it accessed my music from the phone and began playing it in alphabetical sequence.  I was stunned that my car was so smart.  I am also being educated, as I now know who is singing, the title and source.  I was so impressed that I stopped by McKinley Car Wash and spent $16 to have the car cleaned.  These simple pleasures make life especially wonderful.

Another simple surprise of President Donald Trump just being the Donald, this time mocking Dr. Christine Blazey Ford:


There will be serious repercussions.

-
Far, far away, way east of Hawaii, is Hurricane Sergio, predicted to further strengthen into a Category 4:


Too early to tell what Sergio will do, but in the West Pacific is former Super Typhoon Kong-Rey, now at 110 MPH:


Also known as Queenie, the current path Kong-Rey moving north, but west of Naha, squeezing between South Korea and Japan, then crossing Japan over Hakodate on Hokkaido.


-

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น: