จำนวนการดูหน้าเว็บรวม

วันอาทิตย์ที่ 14 ตุลาคม พ.ศ. 2561

BLUE REVOLUTION, TAILGATES and CHOW FUN

Day 164 of the Lower Puna Eruption, and nothing much is occurring.

********
I long ago came to a conclusion that the Blue Evolution would shift towards a Blue Revolution when the mythical billionaire seeking a legacy in the next monumental benefit to humanity provided $1.5 billion towards the Pacific Ocean International Station.  The board of Blue Revolution Hawaii originally decided on Pacific International Ocean Station, but I've always felt that POI Station was a better acronym than PIOS.  After all, this is the home of Aloha Oe, luaus and poi.

What legacy?
Hiro Eto of Nihon University is currently using my University of Hawaii office to further R&D on offshore hydrogen platforms.  If you clicked on that link, we are having lunch at Orchids.  

So this past week I had lunch there with Miki Nakayama (below), Tokyo University professor who is involved in seeking the next one-year visitor to use my office for the Blue Revolution.  I pay for lunch, while he brings me the latest in Japanese gins and helps me find that billionaire.  The first international professor for the Blue Revolution was Tadashi Matsunaga of Nokodai, who went on to become president of his university in Japan.  


Sticking to food, but shifting venues, as you must know, a tailgate is a social event held on or around an open tailgate of a vehicle in the parking lot of stadiums and arenas, usually before a sports game or concert.  The standard fare is food from a grill and accompanying staples, with a lot to drink.
Now that I don't actually go to football games anymore, my tailgate is held in front of my TV set.  This weekend, my featured attractions were University of Hawaii women's volleyball and men's football

A pastrami sandwich to the above left, but two other "tailgates" provided Japanese wagyu beef, o-toro sashimi, foie gras (whole and pate'), caviar, shiitake mushrooms and much too much to drink.  In particular, one my feasts involved the largest artichoke I have ever seen, by far.


Sure, there are larger ones, as for example this restaurant in Castroville, which is the artichoke capital of the world.


But here is Irishman John Evans, and he is famous for his giant vegetables.  This is the best he do with artichokes?


My artichoke looks larger.  Certainly, he can be proud of his cabbages, this one with his daughter Lauren:


Back to my tailgate:


I might add a final standard delicacy in Hawaii, chow fun.  I remember as a child purchasing a small package for 5 cents.  By word of mouth, the best chow fun is from Lam's Kitchen.  You can eat there, but it's somewhat grungy.  So I ordered a takeout of pork chow fun, walked by Long's to buy a can of beer, went to the Aloha Tower area and enjoyed my meal with the Explorer of the Seas,  Falls of Clyde and tropical fish:


The cost of living has gone up:  from 5 cents to $8.95.


-
For the record, Tropical Depression 22-E has formed off the coast of Mexico, will become a hurricane and head for Hawaii.

-

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น: