จำนวนการดูหน้าเว็บรวม

วันจันทร์ที่ 16 กรกฎาคม พ.ศ. 2561

48th UKULELE FESTIVAL

Day 75 of the Lower Puna Eruption brought the usual large earthquake at the summit and continued lava flow.  Watch this clip from the USGS and Paradise Helicopters.


Otherwise, 12 people were injured by a "lava bomb" early this morning while viewing lava flowing into the ocean.  No, make that 23.  The projectile created a large hole on the tour boat roof:


*************

Sunday, great weather, what did I do?  The 48th Ukulele Festival in Waikiki seemed worthy, so I transferred to the #20 bus for brunch at Michel's.  It was closed!  Oh well, I'll save some money by going to Hau Tree Lanai.  It was eleven-nish, and not open for lunch until noon.  These are among the very best Sunday brunch restaurants in the world...and no more?  Should have asked why.

Disappointment can, however, sometimes lead to something better.  Certainly cheaper, anyway.  I walked over to the Kapiolani  Park Bandstand where the uke affair was occurring.  

Saw some BBQing at Dick's Lechon.  Lechon is Spanish for roasted suckling pig.  In Hawaii, the link is through the Philippines.

The line was somewhat lengthy in the hot sun.  They were well organized, but the demand was just too great.  Finally got my styrofoam container and wondered where I could sit and eat.  What about this tent?

Yes, that's Diamond Head in the background.  What luck, for I squeezed into a table and could also be in the audience for the supplemental ukulele festival.  Apparently, all these groups from the world over first entertain in this tent in preparation for the larger audience at the bandstand.  A beer would have been preferred, but the meal was just right for the occasion:


I sat there for an hour and a half.  It was cool, both in temperature and ambience.  I thought to myself, if I could be anywhere in the world at that moment it would have been here.

This is the 48th year that Roy Sakuma has organized this show, and it's free.


The highlight was a concert by 800 students.  The cast of entertainers was as good as you can get:  Jake Shimabukuro, Ohta San, Raiatea Helm and groups from around the world.  And this was all free, and it went on all day.

Tomorrow I will further comment on the abominable Helsinki press conference performance of Donald Trump with Vladimir Putin.  Donald Trump today totally lost the confidence of many on his staff and a lot more Republicans in the U.S. Congress.  Yes, it would be best to be on a trustful working relationship with your primary military competitor so that nothing totally stupid triggers a global nuclear war.  However, to ignominiously cave-in to another bully was mortifying.

Amazingly enough, even Fox News was perplexed and astounded.  You would have thought you were watching CNN.  For reasons that are becoming all too obvious, Trump is being nailed by the Mueller investigation, and has become dangerous to the future of the Free World.  Watch Chris Wallace interview Putin after the summit on the Fox News Channel at 6PM (EDT, noon in Hawaii on Oceanic 109 or 1109).

-

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น: