จำนวนการดูหน้าเว็บรวม

วันเสาร์ที่ 16 มิถุนายน พ.ศ. 2555

MY CIRCLE PACIFIC ADVENTURE


Today I begin my Circle Pacific adventure, primarily to participate in the Yeosu World Ocean Expo.  I will be stopping through Tokyo, Seoul, Osaka, Busan, Bangkok, Bali, Singapore, Sydney and Auckland.  For any burglars reading this, my apartment will be watched by a former federal prosecutor.

First, a colorful goodbye from Pearl's sunburst flowers, now beginning to bloom:


My departing view of Honolulu was memorable:


I will continue from Japan, but to end this posting, thought I'd show a few photos of friends with whom I had meals this week.  First, Ed (I'll leave out the full names to somewhat protect their privacy), who is 94 and remains incredibly active. We have two or three steak meals each year, with martinis and red wine.


Ed is one of my living heroes, as described in the Epilogue of SIMPLE SOLUTIONS for Planet Earth.    I should mention Deb and Dan, and the wonderful sunset dinner we had, but I failed to take a photo.  He is the federal prosecutor.  Then, a provocative discussion with Roger, Joss and James, mostly on how everyone is connected, intellectively (yes, this is a real word).  Clearly, there are concepts beyond my ken.  


Roger is a tax lawyer, Joss a psychiatrist somehow associated with Soul de Cuba Cafe and James is a solar guy.  Then I had lunch with Charly, and talked to him about a future pathway towards excellence for the University of Hawaii.  I failed to take a photo, so to the left is one from his school.  However, I think he was wearing the same shirt that day.  Yesterday I had lunch with Jaw Kai, one of the very few locals in the National Academy of Engineering.  He lectured me about his company, which will be producing jet fuel and other important bioproducts from diatoms, while cleaning up the polluted waters of Hong Kong. 


-
Super Typhoon Guchol, now at 150 miles per hour....yes, 150 MPH, will miss the Philippines and Taiwan, could well head straight for Naha (Okinawa), but seems now projected to move east of Japan, missing the Yeosu Expo. Frighteningly, this monster of a hurricane could storm right over Osaka on the day I'm there.  A little more than two years ago I landed at Narita the day after that terrible earthquake/tsunami/nuclear cataclysm in Japan.  Exciting times ahead again!


-

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น: