จำนวนการดูหน้าเว็บรวม

วันอังคารที่ 5 มิถุนายน พ.ศ. 2555

MY ADVENTURE TO WATCH THE VENUS TRANSIT

I hastily posted an article earlier today about the Venus Transit, then went golfing.  On my way home, I bought an akule at Tamashiro's to fry on my roof later this afternoon to watch the transit of Venus across the Sun.  Only one more thing to buy:  a #14 welder's filter. I was not prepared to meet failure after failure, and, if nothing else, learnt today that perseverance pays.  

I went to Home Depot.  Nothing.  But, City Mill is a local customer friendly hardware store, so surely.  Well, no.  Lowe's was close by, but, again, they don't sell these kinds of things.  By this point, my akule was certainly getting spoilt.  But, clever me, I placed the package at the foot of the passenger's seat and adjusted the temperature to the coldest possible.  But where next?  I could go to the Institute of Astronomy's various sites, but that would be almost like giving up, for I wanted to succeed with this viewing on my roof.  As the next time this astronomical event occurs is more that a century into the future, I had to do something.

I then remembered there was GasPro, which sold welder's equipment.  Turns out that the store is still there, but is now called Airgas.  I walked in expecting the worst, but, everyone there knew why I entered, for they said they sold whole bunches of a Harris lens filter shade glass gold mirror, for $9.45, and still had a few left over.  Success!

I went home, my feet frozen, up to my roof, and through these $9.45 glasses actually saw the transit, which was at around 2PM, both the time and position of Venus on the Sun.  My photo attempts were futile, but these are from a tiny credit card size SONY and iPhone:


Pretty pathetic, but victory nevertheless, for I saw the Venus Transit.  Others did much better.  From Wikipedia:






Also HuffPo:


I'm now ready for any solar event to come.

-

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น: