I yesterday had a nuclear posting, so I thought I would continue peeking at this subject today. While the Greek Government has been at the precipice this week, some provocative competing news emanated from that country. A colleague sent me the address to a web link regarding what might well be cold fusion. I found the information fascinating, but sorely lacking in compelling evidence. However, I share the following because the potential is sufficiently newsworthy that you should be aware of this concept. Breakthrough or scam? Scam might be too condemning, but I do wonder, because the Rossi Energy Amplifier was reported in the Journal of Nuclear Physics, and that is not exactly a true scientific publication.
Imagine a technology that was invented in Italy and is being marketed in Greece, where promised is a 90% reduction in electricity merely through the combination of hydrogen and a nickel catalyst, where 30% of this metal is transmuted into copper? Several decades ago I had my staff review an idea being promoted by a local scientist on the Big Island, who said he could get "cheap" hydrogen just from sunlight and a rhodium catalyst. They did not think well of it, we declined to support, and I got a lot of heat from the Hawaii State Legislature (really, only one person). While these two processes are not similar, the point is, can something so simple as hydrogen and nickel change the nature of electricity production as we know it? Sure.
Why Greece? Not sure, but I think it has something to do with the inventor (Andrea Rossi--with his apparatus to the right) feeling comfortable with Christos Stremmenos (former Greek Ambassador to Italy, who also happens to be a chemical engineer). Further, this country is purported to have 83% of European nickel deposits. Oh, I should add that the process is akin to cold fusion, although more recently, they don't mention this in their announcements.
So here are the details:
2. Product: the Rossi Energy Catalyzer, a low energy nuclear reactor, is being marketed as Hyperion.
Want more info? Try clicking on the following: white paper, a 23June2011 posting from Cold Fusion Now, a company overview and a video.
What is the reality? I would give this development essentially zero chance of reducing electricity generation costs by 90%. Just the price of hydrogen makes this process expensive. So why do I even report on it? It could still have entertainment value, and I could be wrong.
-
-
The Dow Jones Industrials rose another 73 to 12,261, with world markets also all up. I guess the Greek Parliament's passage of this current mid-term fiscal package, 155-138, was a relief. What will the rioters do tomorrow?
Gold increased $10/toz to $1512, with the NYMEX at $94/barrel and Brent Spot at $111/barrel.
-
The first named Atlantic storm, Arlene, looms to attain hurricane strength as she makes a Mexican landfall just south of Tampico and north of Veracruz tonight.
-




ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:
แสดงความคิดเห็น