I have previously posted on the difficult Stanford acceptance process and how a broken wrist was the key to my successful application. Well, those above stories jiggled an experience that was deeply embedded in my memory, and I think now this something else might have been the real reason why I was accepted. I was borderline okay in grades, SAT scores, public service and such. But nothing special.In those days when I was thinking about applying to colleges...and this was half a century ago...philanthropy wasn't even on my radar screen. However, when I happened to write my essay for the application, the McKinley High School Aztecs Hi-Y club to which I belonged just had a disastrous Thanksgiving period selling pumpkin pies for our coffers. We miscalculated by around 50 pies. We could each pay for two and take them home, but someone (not me), came up with a brilliant idea that could have been pivotal to the rest of my life. Why don't we give them to charitable organizations? So for Thanksgiving Eve we all went around to the Salvation Army, Palama Settlement and similar organizations to donate them. There was no intention to gain any particular credit, but somehow, the local Advertiser found out and published a short article. My whole life possibly changed, and I'll need to find out who wrote it.
I expanded on this "debacle - good cause" in my essay, and might have exaggerated the reality. (I don't have a copy because the one I sent was the only one produced.) It's possible something like this made the difference.
While I was totally out of my element on campus, as I was clearly inferior, I thoroughly enjoyed life there, matured well and somehow graduated, taking with me the prime reason for success: CONFIDENCE. I guess I wasn't much of a distinguished graduate, for I don't know of any McKinley High School senior following me who went to Stanford for freshman year. Several to graduate and professional schools, but not straight from high school. At least that experiment worked for me, and because of pumpkin pies, the future of the Blue Revolution or hydrogen might now well be on its way to saving Planet Earth and Humanity.I'll end with another Quora entry, although he is talking about graduate school entrance:
Interesting that my degree was also in chemical engineering, and there is some truth to that final paragraph, but the competition for entry into the freshman class these days is unreal:
Next week I'll give particular thanks to pumpkin pies. It's scary how one seemingly insignificant event, and a disaster at that, can positively affect the future of one's life. You just don't know if that cockroach (in A Sound of Thunder it was a butterfly) you stepped on will determine whether intelligence will expand beyond Planet Earth. And maybe this all doesn't matter.
MIT, Stanford, and every member of the Ivy League, with the exception of Yale, set record-low rates for admission to the Class of 2022.
Out of the group of 10 schools, Stanford was the most selective, with an admissions rate of 4.3 percent. For the fifth year in a row, Stanford had a lower rate than Harvard, which accepted 4.59 percent of students who applied—marking the first time the College has ever dipped below 5 percent.
Next week I'll give particular thanks to pumpkin pies. It's scary how one seemingly insignificant event, and a disaster at that, can positively affect the future of one's life. You just don't know if that cockroach (in A Sound of Thunder it was a butterfly) you stepped on will determine whether intelligence will expand beyond Planet Earth. And maybe this all doesn't matter.
-






2 ความคิดเห็น:
this helps
no
แสดงความคิดเห็น