จำนวนการดูหน้าเว็บรวม

วันอังคารที่ 13 มีนาคม พ.ศ. 2555

SETTI

If you have followed my blogs, this is not a typo.  Today, I continue my Search for ExtraTerrestrial and Terrestrial Intelligence.  My plans tonight are to attend a Frontiers of Astronomy lecture on "The Quest for Habitable Worlds," being presented by Nader Haghighipour.  In 1976 I spent a summer at NASA's Ames Research Center, where I had a fabulous few months designing a system to detect extrasolar planets.  I also was able to golf several times/week at the Palo Alto Golf Course, lived in married students' housing across the street from my freshman dormitory, took a wine tasting course, and rented a really large TV set to watch the Summer Olympics.


About my Search for Terrestrial Intelligence?  Well, I am accompanying  friends, Debbie and Dan Bent, who are stopping off to vote at the Hawaii Republican Caucus before the talk.  This is supposedly the very first such caucus for Republicans in Hawaii ever.  Hmmm...wonder what they did before?  I have long been reporting on this survival series.  If you clicked on this link you will have read that I am somewhat favorably disposed towards Ron Paul.  We have similar views on defense spending, for example, and some of his Libertarian views reflect mine.

As you know by now, Rick Santorum won tonight in Alabama and Mississippi, but Mitt Romney will prevail in Hawaii.  Santorum was hugely overspent by Romney, so this is now becoming embarrassing for the frontrunner.  Newt  Gingrich is done! Romney who??   One child each from Romney, Santorum and Paul is here.  Gingrich sent a goodwill message.   American Samoa has 9 votes, and did not move across the international dateline like Western Samoa, so their results will come later.  While not quite the 63% concentration of Mormons in Utah, about a quarter of American Samoans belong to the Church of the Ladder Day Saints, so Romney should prevail.

Anyway, for me to vote tonight I need to sign up to be a Republican.  Actually, when I joined the sugar industry after first graduating, I was early on sent to Kilauea Sugar Company on Kauai where you became a Republican if you were a trainee and wanted to impress the plantation manager, who at that time was Ernest Smith.  Great guy!  Since then I have been mostly a Democrat.  I mentioned this possible activity to Kenji Sumida today at the Ala Wai Golf Course (and we both walked 18 holes), who some thought was a Republican, for most generals are so (I think he's not), and he warned me that if I joined the GOP, I would get a deluge of unwanted calls and mail.  However, I can ignore those and this decision should not affect my choice on November 6.  I'm sure Paul will not be running that day, unless as an Independent, which would insure an Obama victory.

Six hours after I posted the above, I am now reporting on the rest of my evening:

Note I'm wearing red/white/blue like that elephant above, and in the poster.  Parking was a mess at the former HSPA site, Makiki District Park.  Dan waited for a space while Deb and I stood in line.  Finally at 6PM the doors opened and, mind you, these are volunteers and this is the first time this has ever been done by them.  To be kind, it was not well organized.  First. they couldn't find me on their voting roles.  Then they sent me to another line and their ONLY computer was not working.  I was allowed to vote anyway, and I am now officially to be sent a Republican Party card.  By the time Dan parked his car, the lines were too long, for we did not want to miss the wine/cheese/etc. before the talk.  So this true Republican did not vote, while I did.  If Ron Paul wins by one vote, I'm the guy (he did not).

I had my share of wine at the reception and had a chance to chat with Nader, who remembered that we had lunch seven years ago.  He is now a famous astrophysicist, for he and his team are the ones that discovered some of those close to earth-sized extrasolar planets in the habitable zone.  Very impressive.  His talk provided all the details.  I indicated that I would send him my Book 2 for him to comment on my direct measurement concept.  The field detects exoplanets by transit (planet moves in front of the star) and wobbles (a large Jupiter-like planet will change the movement of the star).  Apparently, the latest methods can also decipher what molecules surround the planet.  My idea depends on tracking the monochromatic lasing planetary atmosphere, thus, also determining the composition.  I asked him to please comment if he could find the time.

He also made a quick case for the international James Webb Space Telescope to replace the Hubble and Spitzer, to do amazing and wonderful things.  I'll provide details later.  The planned launch is in 2018 and the cost could approach $10 billion.

-
The Dow Jones Industrials jumped 218 to 13,178 (+1.68%), the highest since the end of 2007, with the rest of the world also up, Brazil +3%.  The NASDAQ broke 3,000 (3040), the FIRST TIME SINCE 2000!  But it was at 5049 in March of 2000.  Gold dropped $25/toz to $1675, while the WTI crude is at $107/barrel and the Brent Spot at $126/barrel.

-

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น: