Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 16, 2018

ARMY, FLORENCE AND MANGKHUT

Day 137 of the Lower Puna Eruption, and I can't seem to find anything newly relevant.

**********
Two of the three top sports venus in the USA are in New York:




1. Yankee Stadium (New York baseball team)

2. Augusta National
3. MICHIE STADIUM (Army football team)
4. Cameron Indoor Stadium
5. Bislett Stadium
6. Wrigley Field
7. Roland Garros
8. Lambeau Field
9. Fenway Park
10. Saratoga Race Cours

Today, I will report on #3, Michie Stadium, and tomorrow, #1, Yankee Stadium.

West Point is around 50 miles from the Sheraton Time Square.  Scroll down to my Thursday posting to read about my visit here.

Today, a football game between Hawaii and Army at Michi (pronounced mickey) Stadium.  Opened 94 years ago, it has a capacity of 38,000.  Who is Michi?  Dennis Michi, class of 1892, started the football program while a cadet here.  In 1896 he was killed in the Spanish-American War.  
In 1999, the playing area was named Blaik Field, head coach from 1941 to 1958.  He won three straight national titles from 1944 to 1946.

Our day began with the Cadet Review on the Plain:

Then our tailgate, which was a buffet in Eisenhower Hall, below, being addressed by David Matlin the University of Hawaii athletic director.


Busses took us around, next to Michie Stadium, with a pre-game of parachutes and helicopters:


This was the most uncomfortable game I've ever attended, for I sat in the hot sun all day, at the -5 yard line, five yards in the end zone at almost field level.  People kept standing so I could not see most of the field.  Worst, Army 28 - Hawaii 21.  But I'm nevertheless fortunate, for Hurricane Florence could well have turned in this direction.

After drop-off at the Sheraton, I went to a Vietnamese restaurant and ordered Peking Duck with corn rice soup:


Everything was very Chinese and outstanding.  My free breakfast buffet, featuring cheese blintz, onion quiche and oatmeal with a bunch of toppings:


Next, on to Yankee Stadium for New York versus Toronto.

-
The kill toll from Tropical Depression Florence is up to ten, with problems continuing along the path.  Hawaii had no deaths through the Lower Puna Eruption, Hurricane Lane and Hurricane Olivia.


As bad as all that, Typhoon Mangkhut rolled over northern Philippines, making landfall at 165 MPH, and affected close to 6 million people, with deaths now up to 40.  Mangkhut was so fast moving, nearly 20 MPH, that the Hong Kong area has already been hit with winds at 100 MPH.


-

No comments: