The following continues the serialization of Chapter 5 on Religion from SIMPLE SOLUTIONS for Humanity:
On the Matter of a Fatwa
I’m at least mildly concerned about how followers of the Islamic religion might react to this book. The fatwa placed on Salman Rushdie and the harsh reaction to the Danish Jyllands-Posten Muhammad cartoons, which were supposedly an attempt to contribute to the debate regarding criticism of Islam and self-censorship, can be cited. In this day of the internet, any dedicated fanatic could well file a fatwa, and my life would change.
I have, thus, come up with ten reasons why, in the reasoned judgment of a potential fatwaer, I should be ignored or excused:
o There are no serious Islamic insults portrayed in any of my statements, but if in your interpretation I have, I am willing to make acceptable adjustments. Please contact me.
o Nowhere do I say anything particularly sacrilegious about Muhammad.
o With respect, I have treated Islam with, perhaps, more scholarly perseverance than some of the other religions.
o As an example, re-read the section comparing Santa Claus with the Christian God.
o What might be taken as sarcasm is actually general innocence or ignorance, not an excuse, but, nevertheless, a sincere attempt to portray seeming reality.
o However, while I have mostly been non-religious throughout my adult life, I have been searching, and my recent conversion to neo atheism could well be just another temporary phase.
o In fact, I remain willing to honestly listen to any compelling arguments that insure for a glorious next life.
o Before passing judgment on me, any prospective terminator should first read The End of Faith and Letter to a Christian Nation by Sam Harris, a fellow alumnus from Stanford University, and someone I look forward to meeting someday.
o Having done so, and not yet side-tracked, certainly go to The God Delusion of Richard Dawkins.
If that failed, try Christopher Hitchens, God is Not Great [GING]. The subtitle is “How Religion Poisons Everything.”
o Still committed? Have you considered (former) President of the USA George W. Bush?
Yes, just including the above is a kind of sacrilege in itself, but that is in keeping with the tenor of the entire book, which is to maximize happiness. Laughs help.
While there are no Buddhist fatwas or Christian ones, in any hypothetical grouping throughout society there is that unpredictable 1% who might strike for what might be a purely personal and rational reason. For those who happen to fall in this broad category, before taking unnecessary action, send me an e-mail first. Perhaps we can work it out to your satisfaction.
-
The first tropical storm of the season has been named. Agatha has formed in the Pacific, as seen below, is now at 40 MPH. However, except for some rain and wind to Central America, she is projected to weaken.
No comments:
Post a Comment