From Worldometer, COVID-19 new deaths:
DAY USA WORLD Brazil India South Africa
July 1 676 4857 1057 438 92
2 687 5155 1277 377 95
3 616 5170 1264 444 108
4 254 4494 1111 610 74
5 251 3572 535 421 173
6 378 3573 656 474 111
7 993 5504 1312 479 192
8 890 5507 1187 491 100
9 960 5411 1199 479 118
10 849 5416 1270 521 140
11 731 4995 968 543 111
12 380 4118 659 500 108
13 465 3729 770 540 93
14 935 5414 1341 586 174
15 1001 5760 1261 614 107
16 963 5742 1299 680 216
17 946 5559 1100 676 135
18 813 5011 885 543 144
19 412 4606 715 675 85
2 687 5155 1277 377 95
3 616 5170 1264 444 108
4 254 4494 1111 610 74
5 251 3572 535 421 173
6 378 3573 656 474 111
7 993 5504 1312 479 192
8 890 5507 1187 491 100
9 960 5411 1199 479 118
10 849 5416 1270 521 140
11 731 4995 968 543 111
12 380 4118 659 500 108
13 465 3729 770 540 93
14 935 5414 1341 586 174
15 1001 5760 1261 614 107
16 963 5742 1299 680 216
17 946 5559 1100 676 135
18 813 5011 885 543 144
19 412 4606 715 675 85
Summary:
- Looks like a not too bad day for humanity, with the U.S. dropping into fourth place in new deaths.
- Note that Mexico, for the first time, had more new deaths than the USA.
- Also, deaths to come look ominous, as the World yesterday had the most new cases ever, and so did India.
- From the New York Times morning briefing today, with two graphics repeating what I said yesterday...and, incidentally, I'm beginning to more and more appreciate Chris Wallace:
|
President Trump gave a confrontational interview to Chris Wallace of Fox News yesterday that included numerous untruths about the coronavirus. Trump claimed that the United States had the lowest death rate in the world; that new cases were surging here mostly because of the large number of tests; and that his virus response had saved “millions of lives.”
|
- Further, and about time:
One sign of Trump’s unsuccessful strategy is that other top Republican officials are increasingly willing to defy him about the virus.
- Also:
More than six million people in the U.S. enrolled in food stamps in the first three months of the pandemic, an unprecedented rise.
If you don't subscribe to Netflix, the following list might be considered:
- The Best Disney+ Shows and Original Movies, Ranked by Tomatometer
- The Best Shows on Amazon Prime — and Original Movies
- Best Hulu Shows and Movies to Binge-Watch Now
- The Best Apple TV+ Shows and Movies, Ranked by Tomatometer
- The Best HBO Series of All Time Ranked
(You can access those above lists just by clicking on wherever you might want to go.) The Tomatometer ranked the top 250 films on Netflix (they're all available and free). #250 was The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind, with scores of 87%/88%. Note that of all the Amazon Prime shows, there were only 55, and that one scored 64%. #1 was Fleabag, which is a series.
- #1 Crip Camp: A Disability Revolution (2020) 100% of Rotten Tomatoes
- #2 The Square (Al Milan, 2013) 100% RT
- #3 Shirkers (2018) 100%
- #4 Strong Island (2017) 100%
- #5 Mr. Roosevelt (2017) 100%
- #6 Chasing Coral (2017) 100%
- #7 Kilo Two Bravo (2015) 100%
- #8 Mercury 13 (2018) 100%
- #9 Creep 2 (2017) 100%
- #10 Democrats (2015) 100%
- #11 The Young Offenders (2016) 100%
- #12 Invader Zim: Enter the Flops (2019) 100%
- #13 Anima (2019) 100%
- #14 Virunga (2014) 100%
- #15 Lady Bird (2017) 99%
You know what is remarkable about that list? I never knew the top 14 even existed! And I keep up with this subject. Then, #15, I hated it.
#20 was Jiro Dreams of Sushi (2012, 99%), #36 Schindler's List (1993), #37 Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975), #38 The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966) 97%, #40 Airplane (1980 97%), #46 The Social Network (2010) 96%....and I can go and on for films you've surely seen.
So I started by going to #1 Crip Camp, and, yes, it was available. Audiences gave it a score of 92. I did not relish the subject matter, so picked another at random, Anima, and it was only 15 minutes long.
I finally settled on #2, Rotten Tomatoes scores of 100%/90%, The Square (Al Milan), a documentary of the 2011 revolution, banned in Egypt. Crazy reason to pick this production, but I once stayed at the Nile Hilton, and I remember walking to Tahrir Square through ominous crowds, where I took out a meal from Kentucky Fried Chicken. I stayed at this Hilton because it was adjacent to the Nile River and the Egyptian Museum. One of the very worst hotels I've ever experienced. The whole Cairo stay was a nightmare. After a few minutes, I gave up. Really boring.
I next tried Mr. Roosevelt:
I finally settled on #2, Rotten Tomatoes scores of 100%/90%, The Square (Al Milan), a documentary of the 2011 revolution, banned in Egypt. Crazy reason to pick this production, but I once stayed at the Nile Hilton, and I remember walking to Tahrir Square through ominous crowds, where I took out a meal from Kentucky Fried Chicken. I stayed at this Hilton because it was adjacent to the Nile River and the Egyptian Museum. One of the very worst hotels I've ever experienced. The whole Cairo stay was a nightmare. After a few minutes, I gave up. Really boring.
I next tried Mr. Roosevelt:
In her feature directorial debut, Noël Wells portrays Emily, a talented but hard-to-classify comedic performer who left behind her home and boyfriend to pursue career opportunities in L.A. When a loved one falls ill, Emily rushes back to Austin where she's forced to stay with her ex-boyfriend (Nick Thune) and his new-and-improved girlfriend (Britt Lower), a totally together woman with a five-year plan. Though Emily is the same, everything else is different: her house has been smartly redecorated, her rocker boyfriend is training to be a real estate agent, and her old haunts show serious signs of gentrification. Holed up in her...

Those Rotten Tomatoes numbers are from reviewers. Audiences gave this film a 60 rating. I would have provided a lower score. As you might have surmised from the above, this ill loved one was a dead cat, named Mr. Theodore Roosevelt.
This was the fifth best of 250 Network shows? It was an average effort with average people doing average things. Kind of reminded me of Lady Bird, #15. Read my review here from 2017:
Lady Bird left me totally dissatisfied. For such a highly rated film (not that many 100's by Rotten Tomatoes reviewers--at that time the score was 100), I was fully expecting a turning point, a memorable moment, anything...and the film simply ended.
Just when I thought I'd seen all the rated lists I would want, I stumbled on this top from Netflix:
TOP 20 NETFLIX ORIGINAL SHOWS OF ALL-TIME BASED ON ROTTEN TOMATOES
I've seen half of them, I think they're all series, and #1 is Master of None with Aziz Ansari. RT gives it 100%/90%. There are two seasons with 10 episodes each.
Then The Last Dance of Michael Jordan showed up on Netflix yesterday. It was on HBO, but our TV system here subscribes to Showtime. Rotten Tomatoes had it at 96%/95%. So I watched the first episode. Okay. I'll get to the rest later. The NBA season starts on July 30. Tomorrow: Are You Ready for some Football, Baseball, Basketball and Hockey?
Can you believe it was exactly 51 years ago that Neil Armstrong first walked on the Moon? I saw the rocket on the launchpad when I visited what was then called the John F. Kennedy Space Center. A few years later I was at the original site of the Florida Solar Energy Center and at some distance (10 miles???) felt the significant take-off vibration of a subsequent Apollo mission.
It was 13 years ago that Terry Fator first auditioned for America's Got Talent. Just previously, as a budding ventriloquist, he later said:
The low point of his career, Fator said, was when he appeared at a 1,000 seat theater and had only one person in the audience.[7] Discouraged, Fator contemplated pursuing another career, but his family encouraged him to continue. Terry entered the America's Got Talent competition with the hope that the exposure if he made it to the Top 20 might help his career and cause people to want to attend his shows.
Lady Bird left me totally dissatisfied. For such a highly rated film (not that many 100's by Rotten Tomatoes reviewers--at that time the score was 100), I was fully expecting a turning point, a memorable moment, anything...and the film simply ended.
Just when I thought I'd seen all the rated lists I would want, I stumbled on this top from Netflix:
TOP 20 NETFLIX ORIGINAL SHOWS OF ALL-TIME BASED ON ROTTEN TOMATOES
I've seen half of them, I think they're all series, and #1 is Master of None with Aziz Ansari. RT gives it 100%/90%. There are two seasons with 10 episodes each.
Then The Last Dance of Michael Jordan showed up on Netflix yesterday. It was on HBO, but our TV system here subscribes to Showtime. Rotten Tomatoes had it at 96%/95%. So I watched the first episode. Okay. I'll get to the rest later. The NBA season starts on July 30. Tomorrow: Are You Ready for some Football, Baseball, Basketball and Hockey?It was 13 years ago that Terry Fator first auditioned for America's Got Talent. Just previously, as a budding ventriloquist, he later said:
The low point of his career, Fator said, was when he appeared at a 1,000 seat theater and had only one person in the audience.[7] Discouraged, Fator contemplated pursuing another career, but his family encouraged him to continue. Terry entered the America's Got Talent competition with the hope that the exposure if he made it to the Top 20 might help his career and cause people to want to attend his shows.
He won, and here he is with Kermit the Frog on You've Got a Friend. Less than a year later he signed a five-year, $100 million contract to perform at The Mirage on the Las Vegas Strip in what was renamed the Terry Fator Theater. He is still there, currently awaiting the end of the pandemic.
-








ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:
แสดงความคิดเห็น