จำนวนการดูหน้าเว็บรวม

วันจันทร์ที่ 21 พฤษภาคม พ.ศ. 2561

DAY 19: Puna Geothermal Venture Facility Threatened

Oh, oh.  DAY 19 of the Puna Eruption and a finger of lava from fissure 22 is now approaching the Puna Geothermal Venture facility:

A Hawaii County Civil Defense spokeswoman said the flow from fissure 22 next to the PGV site broke out on its northwest side, and “there’s very active fountaining.”

The flow last night was approaching the well pad at PGV, but had stalled at a berm on the property, said county spokeswoman Janet Snyder (right).

The following map shows where Highway 137 was crossed as the lava entered the Pacific Ocean.  The latest:

"I think we're moving into phase two and that's where we're going to see increased activity, potentially higher fountains, more lava flows. Much more dynamic situation than before," geologist Dr. Carolyn Parcheta told CBS News.


***************************************

A friend, Dan Bent, who worked with the author, passed on to me Hawaii Lawyer, by James H. Case.  The Star Advertiser had a nice write-up a week ago.  What a life.  I did not realize how influential he was.  I too worked for the sugar industry and now better appreciate what happened.  His brother Bill helped me a lot when I was at C. Brewer.

I was also acquainted with Jim Case's son, Ed, for we both worked for Senator Spark Matsunaga at around the same time forty years ago.  Ed later became a U. S. Congressman.

I leave you with one quote from the book:

Luck is essential in the games of bridge and poker and it has a role in the practice of law.   A lot of life is luck, isn't it?  But the thing about luck, like opportunity, is you don't exactly know when it'll come along but you can open the door to let it in when it does.  When that work happened along I had assembled the tools to do it.

Well, I continue to eat, and yesterday had lunch at Sushi King.  Zaru Soba and Salmon Kama (collar), with hot sake and cold beer:


What a meal.  Then went to the final University of Hawaii baseball game of the year at home, against Long Beach State.  We won.  Shower trees are now blooming all over the Manoa Campus.


-

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น: