Agonizing, but I vividly recall a close-by family in Kakaako, where three children of one family lived with relatives because their parents died during one of these shellings of McCully. Interesting that the "lucky" one stayed with a more prominent family, went to Iolani and became a high school football star. A second son not sheltered as well became a fisherman. This photo is of Hisao Ueno, who was killed only a few blocks from where I now live.
The 7December1941 surprise attack on Pearl Harbor was coordinated with Japanese military strikes on the Philippines, Guam, Wake Island, Malaya, Singapore and Hong Kong on December 8. Loss of most of the bombers caught by surprise in the Philippines was particularly devastating. Lt. Douglas MacArthur in 1903 was shot (through his hat) by guerrillas in the Philippines, but managed to kill them. Thirty eight years later, unlike the Hawaii commanders, Admiral Husband Kimmel and General Walter Short, General Douglas MacArthur somehow was not relieved of duty for being negligent, while commanding the Philippines and went on to later victory when he returned.
- Spent the war in prisoner of war camps on the mainland U.S.
- Upon repatriation after the war he became a pacifist.
- He wrote a memoir, Four Years as a Prisoner-of-War No.1, which became I Attacked Pearl Harbor in 1949. Amazon today sells the hardback (used) for $120.
- However, he refused to speak about the war until 1991 when he attended a historical conference in Texas, where he reportedly cried after seeing his submarine for the first time 50 years.
- He did become president of Toyota's Brazilian subsidiary in 1969.
- 7:50AM, Atterbury Circle, Hickam Air Force Base, Attack on Hickam Field Ceremony & Reception.
- 8AM, Marine Corps Base Hawaii Flagpole, Annual Wreath Presentation.
- 11AM to 1 PM, USS Bowfin Submarine Museum & Park, Freedom Bell Ringing.
- Noon to 4PM, Aloha Tower Pier 9, Public Tours of the USCGC Morgenthau.
- Noon to 1PM, Battleship Missouri Memorial, 75th Annual Pearl Harbor Mass Band (1000 student musicians) Performance.
- 1PM to 2:30PM, USS Oklahoma (429 deaths) Memorial Ceremony, Ford Island.
- 2PM and 4:30 PM, Block Arena, Pearl Harbor, FOX Sports Pearl Harbor Basketball Invitational, Seton Hall vs California and Princeton vs Hawaii (live broadcast on Fox Sports 1).
- 3PM to 3:30PM, Fort DeRussy, 25th Infantry Division Commemoration Ceremony.
- 4PM to 5:30PM, USS Arizona Memorial, Double Interment Ceremony (80% of the crew died, and is the only ship that returns cremated remains of survivors in a service attended by family and dignitaries).
- 4:30PM to 7:30PM, Kalakaua Avenue, Waikiki, from Fort Debussy to Kapiolani Park, Pearl Harbor Memorial Parade and Public Ceremony (there will be a 20hour History Channel special).