Total Pageviews

Monday, April 25, 2016

TWO EXCELLENT ESCAPIST FILMS

I go to films to entertain myself.  In particular, I enjoy themes where I can safely fantasize.  Sure, vampire, zombie, Marvel Comics and animated movies are escapist too, but I can't stand them because they can't be real.  I've stopped summarizing these productions.

I went to two fantasy films this weekend (Rotten Tomatoes Reviewers' and Audience Ratings):

  A Hologram for the King    63%    94%

  Hello, My Name is Doris    82%    87%

If you didn't know, my movie summaries kind of give the whole story away, so stop reading if you plan to go see them and don't want to know what happens.

A Hologram for the King takes place in Saudi Arabia, but was mostly filmed in Morocco and Egypt.  Tom Hanks plays a failed businessman and husband who is sent to the Middle East to sell a holographic teleconferencing system...and fails again.  However, he finds love.  He had a choice of various options and chose not to return home.  The storyline could have been better woven into the screenplay, but seemed to have just been added on when someone must have said, something is missing.  If you enjoy placing yourself into an exotic environment of a different culture, with the obligatory scene of a hot disco party and background music provided by Talking Heads, Chicago, Electric Light Orchestra and Vivaldi (his Spring Season), and want to feel good at the end, this film is for you.  I liked it.  What is a hologram?

Hello, My Name is Doris is about a 60-ish office worker played by Sally Field who wants to fall in love with her boss John (Max Greenfield) half her age, while recovering from the loss of her mother, who she lived with all her life in a badly cluttered home.  Her best friend, played by Tyne Daly, has a 13-year old granddaughter (Isabella Acres) who assists Doris spy on John via social media.  There were bits of Mendelssohn and Boccherini, with some Platters' Smoke Gets in Your Eyes, but most of the music was contemporary, meaning I had no idea what was going on.  There was, of course, that compulsive neon electric dance sequence.   The final scene gives hope that this will be a happy ending.  I found this movie good escapist fare for old people.  I also noted that most of the people in the audience had white hair.

-

No comments: