Total Pageviews

Friday, April 29, 2016

GOLD AND PURPLE?

15 Craigside has a Photography Club, inspired by Irene Zane and guided by professional photographer Scott Kubo of the Honolulu Museum of Art, once known as the Honolulu Academy of Arts.  The Museum is 89 years old and has a 50,000 arts collection.  I once lived across the street.  We do things like have a photo-shoot at the Honolulu Zoo, where my most impressive photo was of this mother crane (note her egg):


We get together for lunch once a month on a Sunday.  Our assignment for this Sunday is to pick an object in our environment.  We are today surrounded by the blooming Gold Tree, so that will be my focus:


The taller building behind 15 Craigside is 2101 Craigside, where I lived for 32 years.  That is Sanju Pavilion to the left.

As many of my readers know, the Gold Tree has appeared on numerous occasions in this blog site, including this past Sunday.  That is because when my wife Pearl passed away I went around the world trying to identify it, but it turned out that her sister in law Gwen, who works at a biological park, found the answer.  So I decided to try to plant some of them.  I wondered why she loved this tree, and I think stumbled across the reason.  Growing up, she went to Hilo High School, and there is a giant Gold Tree close by, as shown here to the left.

So on her second celebration of her life the family planted a Gold Tree on Mauna Kea because every morning growing up she could see this tall mountain from their kitchen:


Alas, it did not do well at all.

However, I bought a hundred of these saplings and gave them away to her friends on the Big Island, plus a copy of the yellow-colored SIMPLE SOLUTION ESSAYS in her honor.

Then, I thought, maybe golf courses would like them.  So, working closely with Councilman Dennis Onishi (in the middle to the left) of the Big Island, both the Hawaii and Honolulu County City Councils approved planting these trees in tribute to Pearl.

Here below at the Hilo Municipal Golf Course:


The Ala Wai Golf Course ceremony was organized by Garrick Iwamuro (Honolulu C&C Golf Course Administrator, left in the above photo with Councilman Onishi, who, I might add is Pearl's cousin):


KHON2 covered the event, and even Kelly Simeck did some shoveling.

Then two days ago I heard that some Gold Trees were in bloom at the Ted Makalena Golf Course, where 20 or so Gold Trees were also planted, so off I went to play there.  Between the 7th and 8th holes are these blooming Gold Trees.


However, I chatted with the course administrator, Chad, and he thought these might have been planted earlier.  Anyway, someday our municipal golf courses will be filled with yellow flowers in April.  At Makalena, I happened to also see this cousin of the Gold Tree, a Tabebuia, which was purple:


The flower shape and size of the two trees are identical.

When I made the decision to follow through with the above, I also thought about the Jacaranda, because Pearl also admired them, and this flower comes with a particularly fragrant aroma.  Coincidentally, when we planted Pearl's Gold Tree at the Hilo Municipal Golf Course, there was already a large Jacaranda right adjacent.

As the Gold Tree appears to be having difficulty growing at the Ala Wai and Makalena Golf Courses because of high saline soil, perhaps I'll someday follow-up with Garrick to try some Jacaranda.  Jill Wagner of Future Forests Nursery:  how will Jacaranda's do in a slightly salty environment?

I dropped off Pearl's ashes at the airport at the foot of Mount Kilimanjaro, where Jacarandas were in abundance:


Jacarandas can be found in Kona:


This one is supposedly a hundred years old.  When I drove up to Haleakala to view the sunrise, I noted a lot of Jacarandas in bloom:


Perhaps, then, to Pearl's Gold Tree will someday be added Pearl's Purple Tree.  Not a bad combination, for these are the colors of LSU:


-

No comments: