Hilo Bay was the aloha setting yesterday for 29 dedicated crew members. It was more than a year ago that I posted on the upcoming world tour of the Hokulea (left), a replica of a wa'a kailua, a Polynesian double-hulled voyaging canoe, and Hikianalia (right), the larger and younger escort vessel:
Hokulea, built in 1975, is named after the star Arcturus, which passes directly over the Big Island.
Hikianalia, built in 2012, is name after the star Spica, which breaks the horizon with Arcturus in Hawaii.
Displacement 12.5 tons 30 tons
Draft 2' 6" 6' 5"
Weight 7 tons 10 tons
Carrying capacity 5.5 tons 20 tons
Cost $125,000* $ 1 million
Mast height 31 feet 40 feet
Beam 20 feet 23 feet
Length 62 feet 72 feet
Main sail 300 sq feet 400 square feet
Water carried 250 gal 220 gal
*About $0.5 million today.
- Hawaiian Airlines provided up to 32 million miles of travel for the crew.
- Outrigger Hotels and Starwood each offered half million dollars,
- Matson will ship anything for them.
- Bank of Hawaii, $100,000.
- Office of Hawaiian Affairs, $300,000.