Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 13, 2011

HOME AGAIN


I thoroughly enjoyed my one week cruise on the Norwegian Cruise Line Pride of America through the Hawaiian Islands.  Definitely get a stateroom with a lanai, on the Port Side, for you get Honolulu City Lights on departure and early morning Honolulu on returns:

My final meal was an enormous breakfast, for I am scheduled to tee off at noon, and won't eat again for another 12 hours:
No that is not red wine, but cranberry juice.

As you know, I’m completing this year my tribute to Pearl by visiting places she wished to see, but did not, mostly because of me.  I even had oysters Rockefeller the first night of this cruise because she loved this dish, even though I hate oysters.  This all ends after my final global adventure in a few weeks.  A book may follow.

Sunrise at Haleakala on Maui, various volcanoes on the Big Island (it was nearly twenty years since my last visit up to the top (13,800 feet) of Mauna Kea, and this had to be my highlight, for I learned that my lungs can survive at that elevation, for I have Cuzco and Machu Picchu scheduled this Fall.  I learned that the shorter of the two, Mauna Loa (13,677 ft) is the most massive mountain in the world, 100 times larger than Mount Rainier.

The shows were entertaining, internet expensive and slow, saw no one who was seasick and had a room with a tiny shower, but a lot of space.  The Napali Coast final afternoon pass by  was stunning:



I tried their French, Asian, steak and Asian restaurants, and they were all fine, much better than I expected.  Room service was terrific, alcoholic drinks were expensive (so sneak on what you can—as long as the bottles are not opened, you get them back at the end if they catch you) and don’t get pressured to buy a case of bottled water when you first check-in.  Bring one and buy what you need at the shopping center in close walking distance from the Kahului stop.  The internet at Whole Foods is free.

I golfed four times and got worse with each succeeding round.  In case you were wondering if I visited Kenjiro’s gravestone or went golfing on the final day, the latter won out, mainly because I had a private ceremony on the hills above Kilauea earlier this year, and the ship cruised by that site yesterday.  But Kenjiro got his revenge, as I did horribly at the Kauai Golf Lagoons Nicklaus course.  Group here included David from Toronto and Brett and Graham from Melbourne.  I lost so many balls that I ended up with only one.  But, it was fun.

No comments: